Wednesday, May 25, 2011

つけ麺道 - Michi, Kameari


豚骨魚介つけ麺 - Tonkotsu Gyokai Tsukemen ¥750

   Kameari is in Tokyo. But only just, and out in here in the North-Eastern corner it happens to feel a lot more like Chiba than the bustling capital city that it is. On this particular Friday afternoon the streets were crowded and the largest concentration of people could be found just outside this little ramen shop, Tsukemen Michi. As is often the case there were more people waiting outside than those seated inside. And this certainly wasn't a rare case as on the opposite side of the street there were seats set up along with   a water dispenser to keep us cool from the hot sun.
    Eventually I made my way inside (they call you in in groups of 4) and was surprised to see how young the team there was. I am constantly taken aback when I see these young men in charge at popular ramen destinations.


    Nothing to worry about here though. We were to be served a tonkotsu gyokai soup that I have certainly become familiar with. Although the tray was a first...


     No directions on how to eat here. Just dip, slurp and repeat... I could have used them though as I wasn't exactly sure what the small dish with the salt and pepper was all about. I had my eye on the hanjuku egg so I wasn't bothered by it's presence.


     I can appreciate why people are willing to wait for some tsukemen at Michi. It strikes a perfect balance of the two blended soups with the rich tonkotsu providing most of the bite while the gyokai fills in the gaps.


    The noodles didn't get soggy towards the end. Did I really eat it that fast? Maybe, but it could have just been the bowl. Other tsukemen shops, take note...



3 comments:

  1. Hi, this may be a dumb question, but does the line kind of govern itself or did you put your name in and wait to be called? I like to minimize my embarrassment while traveling. haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not dumb at all. The line is usually pretty straight forward. This place had four seats out front and about eight across the road, so when you were in front they just called the next four in.
      Each place is different though and some require you to buy a ticket inside and then go back outside to line up. Hope that helps.

      Delete